Topic-icon A Deist's Prayer

• ScottB
  • ScottB's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
8 years 2 weeks ago - 8 years 2 weeks ago #56346 by ScottB
I posted this in my blog. I thought it might be worth repeating here:

-- Scott

I need to clarify what I mean by "God" because so much of what I write here is about God.

God is that which is the source of my life, everything in between the beginning and end of my life, and anything after death. God is the source of the universe I live in. God's will in this universe is natural truth. God's love is expressed in the gift of life. God's law constitutes the nature of my heart and mind. My only purpose is to comprehend and act on God's laws; my only sin is to not act on what I comprehend.

I do not look to revealed religion for an understanding of God. Those religions make God out to be a sort of big magical person. They give God a nature, when really God is before nature.

I have no rights to God. God has absolute rights to me, God's creation. Everything I am, have been, and will be come directly from God. I have no choice in the matter. My submission to this truth is my purest expression of my love for God.

I can know some of God's will because God's will is natural truth and I can know natural truths. I cannot comprehend God directly because God is before nature and my comprehension is limited to the natural. I cannot love God directly because I cannot love that which I cannot comprehend, so I love God by accepting God's will, God's love, and God's law.

You know, I realized that I can say all that the form of a prayer:

A Deist's Prayer

Your Love is the gift of my life.

Your Will is my truth.

Your Law is written on my heart and my mind.

You are before nature, and I am nature. You know me completely. You are beyond my comprehension.

You have absolute rights to me, Your creation.

In humility, I receive the grace of Your Love, the rightness of Your Will, and the judgment of Your Law.

I shall love You in this world until You call me to Your Heaven.

Amen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 weeks ago - 8 years 2 weeks ago #27733 by paine_wwweb_r
Wow.

Just when I was ready to make a criticism about "submission," you clarified what I was going to criticize, rendering my point moot.

Just ... wow. The whole thing.

And well done.

PW

• cclendenen
  • Visitor
8 years 1 week ago - 8 years 1 week ago #27735 by cclendenen
I am not a praying person, but I think you have expressed your feelings here exceptionally well. Most excellent.

More
8 years 1 week ago - 8 years 1 week ago #27737 by amore01
Scott, I agree with much with what you write. It was enjoyable.

I hope to add this as a complement.....

Many of the indian people also look to much of nature, as well. While I do not personally subscribe to all of the indian peoples culture, I feel that this indian prayer video graced with music from Enigma, typifies much of what is in my heart. The phrase "let me learn the lessons you have hidden in every leaf and rock" echos a few words from Catherine Faber, as well.

Well... the url which is called Deja Vu, is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q9lpMuCInk

Despite being a deist, I too Scott, also believe in prayer. I do hope that a few members here will enjoy your words. Perhaps a few here may appreciate the video I present here as well.....

Amore 01

• cclendenen
  • Visitor
8 years 1 week ago - 8 years 1 week ago #27738 by cclendenen

Scott, I agree with much with what you write. It was enjoyable.

I hope to add this as a complement.....

Many of the indian people also look to much of nature, as well. While I do not personally subscribe to all of the indian peoples culture, I feel that this indian prayer video graced with music from Enigma, typifies much of what is in my heart. The phrase "let me learn the lessons you have hidden in every leaf and rock" echos a few words from Catherine Faber, as well.

Well... the url which is called Deja Vu, is here]

[/url]

Despite being a deist, I too Scott, also believe in prayer. I do hope that a few members here will enjoy your words. Perhaps a few here may appreciate the video I present here as well.....

Amore 01

Thank you for the link. I am an avid fan of Cat Faber's "The Word of God". I am also a devoted fan of the Native American group Brulé, so the Enigma music is a welcome find. Paul LaRoche of Brulé is one of the most spiritual people I've ever met, very comfortable in his own skin, and it shows in his music. I get a similar feeling with Enigma. Thanks!

More
8 years 1 week ago - 8 years 1 week ago #27741 by Helium

I do not look to revealed religion for an understanding of God. Those religions make God out to be a sort of big magical person. They give God a nature, when really God is before nature.

I too enjoyed the article as thought provoking.

As the resident apologist for revealed religion (hey, maybe I'm a plant ) I would just eliminate that paragraph. Like I seem to have said a lot in different strings of these related sites in the past few days, if a good person of good heart finds solace in the "good book" such that it doesn't rain on my parade, in fact may even shine some sun on my parade, then God bless em. I'm more worried 'bout if their good people of good heart then if their deist, theist, atheist, etc.

Time to create page: 0.278 seconds