Topic-icon A Deist's Prayer

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #27755 by Helium

I really wish that all of those who are in the revealed religions would be as accepting of us (in respect) as we may be of them, but clearly, that is not the case.

I wish that as well.
In fact I would probably say the reason it's important not to paint all groups or religions or denominations with one brush, there fore, is so that we can make connections with those in revealed religions who are accepting and respectful of us.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #27761 by InGinouity

Ritchie Havens

And HE is still around TOO??? He played on Woodstock, right? And even I was young then

Ginou

• ScottB
  • ScottB's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #27763 by ScottB
Thank you for the compliments guys. I don't know what else to say, so I'll just leave it at that.

-- Scott

• ScottB
  • ScottB's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #27775 by ScottB
Revised. I changed some of the passive sentences. I added "God of Nature" to the beginning.

I considered changing it from an individual's prayer to a group prayer, replacing all of the singulars to plural by changing "my" and "me" to "our" and "us" like in the Lord's Prayer, but decided not to. I think it reads better for an individual Deist because it establishes a more personal relationship between Deist and God. For a group setting plurals could be substituted as appropriate.

A Deist's Prayer

God of Nature, You gave me life, Your gift of Love.

You wrote Your Law on my heart and mind.

Your Will is my truth.

You stand above nature, and I am nature. You know me completely. You are beyond my comprehension.

You have absolute rights to me, Your creation.

In humility, I receive the grace of Your Love, the rightness of Your Will, and the judgment of Your Law.

I shall love You in this world until You call me to Your Heaven.

Amen

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #27788 by Bearcub
I was going to keep my big mouth shut, but I just can't do it. Overall, I like your prayer just fine, except for this one sentence:

You have absolute rights to me, Your creation.

I am not a pot to be pissed in or adorned. Regardless of what God wants of me. God may have molded me to be one thing, but She also gave me free will. Therefore, I am determined to make my own purposes for my own reasons. If God wants me for something, then She damn well better convince me that it is the best thing for me, or She can just take a flying leap.

While I somewhat accept that the universe has given me limitations, I feel free to challenge those limitations. And I refuse to just give myself to God. I will not acknowledge God's, or anything else's right to me. I am not a slave, nor am I owned by anything.

Like I said, the rest of the prayer I am okay with. If you want to give absolute rights to yourself to God, then go ahead. But, I thought you should know there is at least one Deist out here that refuses to do so.

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #27814 by Helium

God may have molded me to be one thing, but She also gave me free will. Therefore, I am determined to make my own purposes for my own reasons.

Me too, only I'd just add one caveat - as long as the wife agrees

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds