Topic-icon A Deist's Prayer

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #27742 by Helium

I am also a devoted fan of the Native American group Brulé, so the Enigma music is a welcome find.

I'll have to check that out.
I just bought Buffy Sainte Marie's latest album, the name of which escapes me, and I'm just so impressed by it, just as I liked her last album. I mean when you see so many 60s acts touring on their couple of hits, which by the way I have no problem, with I just can't beleive she just can remain so relevant - at least for me.

Another native group from Canada back in the, oh I would say, early nineties was Kashtin. If you ever get a chance to get their first album it just blew me away. Sorry to steal this string, may I should make a new native music string.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ScottB
  • ScottB's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #27745 by ScottB

I do not look to revealed religion for an understanding of God. Those religions make God out to be a sort of big magical person. They give God a nature, when really God is before nature.

I too enjoyed the article as thought provoking.

As the resident apologist for revealed religion (hey, maybe I'm a plant ) I would just eliminate that paragraph. Like I seem to have said a lot in different strings of these related sites in the past few days, if a good person of good heart finds solace in the "good book" such that it doesn't rain on my parade, in fact may even shine some sun on my parade, then God bless em. I'm more worried 'bout if their good people of good heart then if their deist, theist, atheist, etc.

You are absolutely right. Thanks for the feedback. I did stereotype revealed faiths. I'll have to rethink this statement.

-- Scott

I do not look to revealed religion for an understanding of God. Prophets give voice to human religious nature, not God's will. God's will speaks for itself.

-- Scott

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #27748 by NuclearNikki
Wow... makes me tempted to write that down and have it with me whenever I'm in "mixed company" and someone suggests an opening prayer.

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #27750 by InGinouity
For what it is worth, I totally agree with Helium. Take out the thing about revealed religion. To each their own and "I may not agree with what you say, but...." etc. And it is not about what "they" believe, it is about what you believe and you don't have to give a reason for not believing what "they" believe, if that makes sense. It makes it sound like you are crying before you got hit.

Wow, is Buffy Saint Mary still around???

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #27752 by Helium

Wow, is Buffy Saint Mary still around???

Yeah, itunes has her latest, Running for the Drum and absolutely love it. I'll probably review it in a bit.
It's got some of her most native influenced music to start and then lots of real good folk/blues/roots/jazz.

Gee I can't believe the last album I got from her was in 92 called coincidence and likely stories and this was a departure being kinda electronic and modern and was overtly protest in nature and I absolutely loved this one, as well. Her new CD isn't afraid to have some fun.

Also I knew she was actually touring, but she was touring with Ritchie Havens and I'm just not as familiar with Havens so I'm holding out till she tours solo.

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #27753 by amore01
For what it's worth, keep in the phraseology you have about revealed religion. I really wish that all of those who are in the revealed religions would be as accepting of us (in respect) as we may be of them, but clearly, that is not the case. I could say much more here, however, it is probably not warranted...

It is, of course, your deist prayer, and you can do with it what you will.

Amore01

Time to create page: 0.240 seconds