Topic-icon Back to Default Settings

• NerdyKeith
  • NerdyKeith's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 months 3 weeks ago - 7 months 3 weeks ago #61002 by NerdyKeith
Last Edit: 7 months 3 weeks ago by NerdyKeith.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #61003 by Dave.Gaddis
While I do not agree with your final determination, I do understand it.

Transit Umbra, Lux Permanet

• NerdyKeith
More
7 months 3 weeks ago #61007 by NerdyKeith
Fair enough, I respect that.

More
7 months 3 weeks ago - 7 months 3 weeks ago #61009 by gnomon
Keith
___I can sympathize with your decision to “punt” on the Deist God question. I've been working on my justification for belief in a minimal deity-construct for several years, and just when I seem to be getting close to the final answer, I notice one more open question, and then beyond that I infer a chain of unresolved questions extending all the way down to infinity. Nevertheless, rather than punt, I continue to “kick the can further down the road”, leaving open the possibility of a resolution in the future. Is that a stubborn refusal to face facts, as Atheists would say?
___The main reason, I don't give up so easily, is that my current pragmatic philosophical worldview, Enformationism --- which works neatly to explain a multitude of real-world mysteries --- is based upon the idealistic axiom of a divine MIND as the whole of which this world is a part. Therefore, I have concluded that there is no way to empirically prove the existence of such a deity, and that logical proofs are inherently circular without some empirical foundation. So, I don't look to my non-intervening deity for salvation, or for an afterlife, but I do feel the need to believe that there is an ultimate answer to all questions, even if I don't personally know what it is.
___I suppose you could say that my “default setting” is also Agnosticism / Humanism. But my chosen setting is the quixotic search for ultimate understanding, as usually summarized in the concept of God. :peace:

Punt : In American football, a team whose attempt to score has been stymied by the opposition, will choose to kick the ball further downfield, rather than take the chance of turning it over to the other team in a good position for them to score. In politics, it's similar to the notion of “kicking the can down the road”.
Kick the Can Down the Road : put off confronting a difficult issue or making an important decision, typically on a continuing basis.
Last Edit: 7 months 3 weeks ago by gnomon.

More
7 months 2 weeks ago #61017 by Aaron
I still consider myself a Panendeist but that's largely because "god" is a teleology for me rather than a belief. It's a way to define "ultimate reality". It's similar to Pantheism in that it's a way to define the universe.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

• NerdyKeith
More
7 months 2 weeks ago #61019 by NerdyKeith

Aaron wrote: I still consider myself a Panendeist but that's largely because "god" is a teleology for me rather than a belief. It's a way to define "ultimate reality". It's similar to Pantheism in that it's a way to define the universe.

That's cool. I think it's important to realise that we all have our own paths to follow. It's part of being an individual I suppose.

Time to create page: 0.241 seconds